Tuesday, April 5, 2011

House of the Scorpion Deep Question

In the novel Matteo and Maria develop and special friendship, which blossoms into something more although even their friendship is discouraged, let alone romance between a human and a clone. What do you think would happen if Matteo and Maria were given the opportunity to purse their feelings without disapproval or external influences? Have you ever had a friendship or relationship that was disapproved of or forbidden? If so, do you think those who didn't like the interaction were concerned for your well being or afraid of their own societal hang-ups?

2 comments:

  1. GOOD question! I actually think that "LOVE", and the role it plays in this fictional world, is a very interesting component of this story. What role did his relationship with Maria play in Matteo's self-discovery and developement? Why is she attracted to Matteo in the first place? What about love in it's other forms(Philos or Agape)?? What was the nature of Celia's relationship with Matt? Why does she rebuff parental connection?

    Oh, Yes I have had a friendship that was frowned on...but that is a topic for another forum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had a boyfriend when I was younger that my father did not want me to see. I didn't really understand at the time, but looking back I know now that he was only trying to protect me. I still think that my father shouldn't have reacted that way, but the boy was a couple of years older then me and I know that he was just trying to look out for me.

    ReplyDelete