Monday, February 21, 2011

Absolutely True Diary-Deep Questions

Junior is a really strong teenager who wanted to make himself better. He made the brave decision to leave the reservation and go to a white school off the reservation. Do you think that if you were put in that situation you would have been able to make that descision, knowing that people on the reservation were going to treat you horrible and pretty much disown you? Also after all the people that died in Juniors life, would you still be strong enough to continue on with your life or would it have been hard for you to move on?

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully I could do that given the right motivation which Mr. P seemed to provide. Telling someone that he will die on the reservation and have no life unless he leaves would likely motivate me to leave. But I would have a hard time leaving my friends and family and having them disown me. Its hard enough moving to a new place where you know no one, but if my friends and family were to disown me for moving I could not do it. And to answer the second question, I think that would make me bitter, and it would be difficult to move on because I would have lost part of my support system and people that add care and meaning to my life. But it would motivate me to succeed and leave a place marred by death caused by alcoholism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when I read this question I thought to myself, "Of course I would have had the courage to leave." Then I read Nick's response on how it would be hard to leave friends and family. That got me to thinking about Junior's age when he made the decision to go to Reardon. That got me to thinking about my undergrad college days when I attended college in an adjacent city but did not move to that adjacent city (even though I know it would have been better experience for me) because I did not want to move away from my friends, none of them who I am in contact with today by the way. With this said, I am not sure if I would have had the maturity or courage to do what Junior did at such a young age. He was a brave young man.

    ReplyDelete