Saturday, February 26, 2011

Megan Deutschman: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

There is a reason why this book won the National Book award. It’s good. Really good. I’m a tough critic of literature…chalk it up to my B.A. in English or perhaps my tendency to have an opinion on everything. (Haha.) Anyway, I think this is a book worth teaching to students. The issues are relevant and can be made applicable to most students. Almost every student can identify with trying to fit in, race issues (even white kids), fighting with friends, teen angst, loss, death…and perhaps some can relate to the even "bigger" issues in this book: alcoholism, poverty, violence. I think this book is a wonderful one to integrate. It can tie into history, language arts, political science, etc. Wisconsin and Minnesota have a lot of reservations and used to be a home to many tribes of Indians; that is a lesson in itself. So to finally get into my question…do you agree or disagree with me? Is this the best book we have read for this class so far? Why? Why not? Do you agree with my assessment that this novel would be the most applicable and relatable for students?

4 comments:

  1. I did really like this book and am very close to agreeing with you that it was the best book I have read for class so far. I can't quite go all the way there, however, because I like the other books for different reasons. I do agree with you that this book could be considered more applicable to young readers on a broad scale because adolescents, as you said, can identify with trying to fit in and fighting with friends. Also, the American Indian reservation topic is relevant to our country's history and current practice, also making the book relevant to students in America especially. This book touched me in a way that the other books did not. Junior was an easy character to connect with. His character was well developed throughout the writing. He was portrayed as sensitive, open, honest, and real. I feel like I really got to know him. I was also impressed with how he found a way to survive and thrive, in spite of the bad/sad things going on around him. These kinds of stories inspire me. These kinds of victories are what I want everyone to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that this book is my favorite thus far. I live in a community that has two reservations. I work with many of these students in my local school. I think this would be an excellent book for these middle school students to read. I found Arnold's character refreshing. He is honest, humble and funny. He works despite what could be seen as limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is the best book from this class. It is my favorite and I absolutely agree with Megan's assessment of the book and how well it can be integrated into the classroom because it has so many topics that are easy for students to relate too. While they may not have relations to poverty or alcoholism, for example, the concept of fitting in, being different, race, etc. can be earth-shattering for some students. It was a great book, a fun read, and I found myself rooting him on the whole way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would agree with you that this is the best book we have read thus far. It was engaging, entertaining, humorous and telling. I would teach this book for some of reasons you cited. Its relevant and covers important themes.

    ReplyDelete